Baccalà alla Vicentina
Adapted from the official recipe of the Baccalà Brotherhood of Vicenza
(because, when it takes 2 days to prepare something
so special, you may as well invite the neighborhood)
1. Soak the baccalà in cold water for 24-30 hours, changing the water approximately every 8-12 hours.
2. When the fish has softened, remove any bones.
3. Cut fish into even large chunks. Gently heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onions, followed by the anchovies and gently sauté until onions have softened.
4. Dust the baccala chunks with a little flour and add to the onions. Cover with the milk, the parmigiano reggiano, salt and pepper and cook on very low heat, 2 hours-2 ½ hours, adding extra milk if necessary (its exact “doneness” will eventually be determined by experience). Never stir the fish, but instead gently rotate around the pot in a clockwise direction.
5. Add the parsley in the last couple of minutes of cooking time . Serve with plenty of polenta on the side. Buon appetito!