Melanzane del contadino - Peasant style eggplant
1 large Italian eggplant
1/4cup Corona extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
To prepare the cheese
1/2cup goat cheese
1cup grated parmigiano reggiano
To prepare the pesto
2tbsp chives (minced)
1/4tbsp garlic minced
2tbsp pine nuts
1/4cup Paradiso olive oil
2tbsp cold water handful wild arugula
1. Heat oven to 450º.
2. Cut green end off of eggplant and discard. With a peeler, peel strips length wise off the eggplant, creating alternate strips of flesh and skin.
3. Horizontally cut ¼” wide circles, place side by side on sheet pan, drizzle Corona extra virgin olive oil over the eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 20-25 min.
4. Place all the cheese in a bowl and mix well. Before serving, layer eggplant with the cheese beginning and ending with the eggplant. Make three layers. Warm in oven for about 8 min.
5. Bring large pot of water to boil and add a handful of kosher salt. Have a bowl of ice water ready. Place all the herbs in the boiling water for 20 seconds, remove and plunge in the ice water. Drain with strainer, squeeze dry and place in a blender. Add pine nuts, garlic, parmesan and water. Turn blender on high, slowly drizzle Paradiso extra virgin olive oil in, season with salt and pepper.
6. Garnish with wild arugula, Paradiso extra virgin olive oil, pesto.
Chef Collin Crannell