Seared Scallops with Chickpea Puree
1. Drain chickpeas over a bowl, reserving water from can
2. Pour chickpeas into a food processor, and blend until completely smooth, adding just enough of their water to get a smooth consistency.
3. Heat 2 tbsp of the Cardum extra virgin olive oil in a small saucepan until it is hot, but careful not to burn. Toss in 7-8 sage leaves. They will sizzle and release their flavor. After 30 seconds, remove from heat and discard the sage leaves from the oil.
4. Add the pureed chickpeas to the saucepan, pour in 1 ½ tbsp Garlic Olive Oil, salt to taste and set aside.
5. Rinse the scallops and pat completely dry. Sprinkle with sea salt.
6. Heat the remaining Cardum extra virgin olive oil in a fry pan until it is very hot and just starting to smoke. Place the scallops in the pan, 3 at a time and sear on each side for about 1 ½ -2 minutes. Do not touch or move the scallops, or they will not get that lovely browned crust you are looking for! Be careful not to overcook them, the sides should still be visibly translucent. Set in a warm dish while you sear the rest of the scallops.
7. Meanwhile, gently heat the chickpeas in the saucepan and pour into the center of a large serving dish.
8. When the scallops are all ready, place them atop of the chickpea puree, drizzle an additional 1-2 tsp of Garlic Olive Oil on top (to your liking), garnish with the remaining sage leaves and serve at once.